Humber Bridge

14:10 Angela 0 Comments

When I first arrived in Hull, we drove through the Humber Bridge and I was taken aback at the architectural design of the it. I have always admired bridges because of the skill it requires to design, engineer and build one. I remember my father taking my brother and I on a tour of Tower Bridge in London as a little kid, and I was absolutely fascinated about the construction history of the bridge and ever since then my admiration for bridges grew from there.

I absolutely applaud the hard work and dedication it takes to construct a bridge, for example plans for the Humber Bridge started around the 1930s but building work did not actually start till 1973 and was not completed till 1981! However the amount of time it took to build, could be due to the type of bridge it is. The Humber Bridge is a suspension bridge. A suspension bridge is a type of bridge in which the deck (the main span) is held by suspension cables on vertical suspenders. 

Think of it like those rope bridges between mountains.







But on a much larger scale






Now it is easier to understand why it took so long!


I cam across photographs of the Humber Bridge being built and I think these pictures are absolutely amazing! Don't you agree?




Incredible!


So I decided to take a go myself...





0 comments: