I quit the gym

12:56 Angela 1 Comments

angela-ogunfojuri-gym



If you know me very well, you know I love exercising. I get excited when I go the gym, there's no feeling that can beat a good  high from a tough workout after a stressful day. However after reading True Riches by Jeff Lestz I got re-thinking about how much it costs me and where else that money could go. True Riches is about godly finances and how we can manage our finances in a better way to serve others. Lestz mentions that we should be better stewards of our money, and use it in a way that enriches lives around us. The thing is before reading this, I got a call from a charity which I donated to a while ago, asking if I wanted to donate money on a monthly basis. I politely declined because I felt I had enough expenditures going out each month,. After reading True Riches I analysed my finances to see what good I do with my money. I realised I do very little.

I already had an excuse lined up for this though. If I had more money I would give. Ha! Oh how we are easily tricked by the devil. Thank God for His revelation. What a person does with little money, he will also do with a lot. If I am not charitable with my money now, why would I be in the future? I will find another excuse to not give as much as I can give such as "I have a lot more expenses now", "the timing not right"...

So upon this new revelation I realised I can exercise for free, a jog in a park costs nothing. (Maybe I might start training for that 10K I've been telling myself to do) The money I save at the gym can be used to help a child get access to education or give a family a home. How much more good is that!

It took me a while to realise this simple revelation. For those who are thinking about giving, think about what you can do to save money and for those who do give, keep on giving!

Angela xx

1 comment:

  1. So true Angela! I had this revelation and started giving in 2010 after fundraising for a charity. We have too much excuses as to why we don't give but most of us will spend more than £5 on take out without batting an eyelash. How about take home food to work on 1 of the working days and use the money saved to help another? Or maybe don't buy a new pair of shoe every month. Little things do add up, and we can all so easily give, even students!!
    sewafolie.com

    ReplyDelete